Back

the Long-Term Decarbonization Strategy has been approved

At the beginning of November, the Council of Ministers approved this long-term decarbonization strategy (ELP 2050). Its objective is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 90% in 2050 with respect to those emitted in 1990 and for the remaining 10% to be assumed by “carbon sinks”.

This document has been proposed as a roadmap that presents opportunities for investment with the aim of increasing the competitiveness of the Spanish economy, preserving biodiversity and generating adaptations to climate change.

Regarding the bioeconomy, it is mentioned within the opportunities for innovation of the agricultural system where the document states: “Research and innovation in the bioeconomy, agriculture and forests is also called to play a relevant role. In particular, those production models capable of minimizing methane emissions and those that contribute to fixing a greater amount of carbon in the soil, increasing negative emissions. Research on bio-waste management, cattle raising, fertilizer production or burning of agricultural remains will also be relevant”.

This strategy is aligned with Spain's commitments acquired through the Paris Agreement, and also it presents synergies with several of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. In addition, it serves as a vehicle for several of the initiatives that are currently being carried out from the Ministry of Ecological Transition and Demographic Challenge.

Download the document: "Estrategia para la descarbonización a largo plazo (2050)".

Imagen Noticia